The Bronx accident lawyers at Haicken Law have handled hundreds of Bronx slip and fall and trip and fall cases. Our team of lawyers, aka “The Law Team,” can guide you through the legal process. We will take care of fighting to get you justice. We understand that if you’ve been injured, you have enough to worry about.
If you have been injured in the Bronx, please call our Bronx injury lawyers today. The call is free. If we take your case and win you money, the attorney’s fee comes out of the settlement. You never have to pay us anything out of pocket. If you are too injured to come to our office, we can meet at your Bronx residence, and/or have a call on zoom. For accidents and injuries, call 212-LAW-TEAM. (212-528-3926)
What Can A Bronx Personal Injury Lawyer Do For Me?
Hiring a Bronx injury lawyer is an important first step. Without a lawyer, it is you against an insurance company and their army of lawyers. If you slip and fall on someone else’s property, there is most likely at least one insurance company that will be involved. This could be the insurance company for a building for example, or the insurance company for a cleaning company that had been hired by the building.
Insurance companies know that Bronx cases are worth more than cases in other counties. Why are Bronx accident cases worth so much more money? Because Bronx juries tend to give more money than juries in other parts of the state. There are many reasons why this is, but the bottom line is that insurance companies and their lawyers take Bronx accident cases very seriously. Their job is to keep you out of court for as long as possible. A Bronx accident lawyer’s job is to get your case in front of a jury as quickly as possible.
At Haicken Law, we push your case to trial as quickly and aggressively as possible in order to force a settlement.
A Bronx accident lawyer can help build your case in the following ways:
- Conduct a thorough investigation of the accident. We will contact witnesses and try to obtain surveillance footage of the accident. Sometimes property owners delete the footage if it proves their negligence or carelessness. While this may seem like a bad thing, it generally backfires on them and helps make your case. This is because it seems to show a cover up which makes the property owner look even worse.
- Make sure you get excellent medical care, and that your bills are paid.
- Guide you through the lawsuit process and answer all of your questions without billing you.
- Advise you on whether to settle out of court or go to trial.
- Prepare you to testify at depositions and potentially a trial.
We have gone up against some of the biggest corporations in America and won significant settlements for our clients in New York, especially in the Bronx. Several of our lawyers used to work for insurance companies so we know the insider tricks they use to try to hurt your case. We will use that knowledge against them.
Is A Property Owner Responsible For Injuries That Occur From Slip And Falls On Their Property?
In New York, a property owner is not responsible for every accident on their property. They are only responsible if they knew of a problem and didn’t fix it, or if they themselves caused or created the problem.
Any property owner that regularly has customers on their property has a duty to those customers to keep the property safe. This could be a mom-and-pop restaurant on Arthur Avenue, a large venue such as Yankee Stadium, and even government buildings such as the Post Office.
Building owners have a duty to regularly inspect the property for hazards – conditions that could cause accidents and injuries. They also have a duty to make sure that they are not the cause of any such conditions.
What’s The Difference Between A Slip And Fall And A Trip And Fall?
- A slip and fall accident is one where something on the ground causes the ground to be slick, resulting in someone’s foot being unable to stabilize.
- A trip and fall occurs when something obstructs a person’s path.
What Are Some Examples Of Bronx Slip And Fall Accidents Haicken Law Has Handled?
- Failure to post a “Wet Floor” sign when mopping. We have settled several cases where a cleaner forgot to put up a wet floor sign while mopping. An unsuspecting customer walked by, unaware that the floor was wet.
- Spraying a sidewalk with water in the winter. The lawyers at Haicken Law have worked on cases where property owners cleaned the sidewalk in front of their property but neglected to check the weather forecast. As the temperature later dropped below freezing, the water turned into black ice, a hidden slipping hazard.
- Accumulated rainwater inside a building. We have represented clients who slipped inside a building when it was raining. A property owner is not responsible for every possible slip and fall and does not have to put mats out on every inch of the property. However, property owners have a responsibility to make sure that their premises is reasonably safe. Precautions need to be taken, for example, to ensure that mats are placed at entranceways.
What Are Some Examples Of Bronx Trip And Fall Accidents Haicken Law Has Handled?
- Uneven rugs. We have handled several cases where people tripped on rugs that were not properly taped down. When store owners routinely roll rugs up for storage, the ends of the rugs tend to start to curl up. In order to avoid a tripping hazard, store owners are supposed to tape the ends of the rug down.
- Uneven Bronx sidewalks. Commercial property owners in the Bronx are responsible for maintaining the sidewalks outside of their buildings. Each sidewalk section or flag should be even with the next. When one section of the sidewalk is higher than the other, it creates a lip which can be a tripping hazard.
- Broken tiles. We have represented man people who tripped over broken tiles in their apartment complexes or even their own apartments. Landlords have a legal responsibility to make sure that areas where people walk are safe.
- Construction materials. When a contractor does construction in New York, it is the contractor’s job to make sure that pedestrians passing the construction site can walk by safely. We have gotten hundreds of thousands of dollars for people who tripped on construction material that obstructed their path near construction sites.
- Wires and cords. Building owners, cleaning companies, and contractors have a legal duty to make sure that electrical wires are not placed in such a way as to cause trip and fall accidents. We have helped people who tripped on janitors’ vacuum cords, lighting equipment wires, and construction equipment cords.
Where Are Common Injuries From Falls?
The most common injury we see in medical records from trip and falls are those associated with “FOOSH.” Fall On Out Stretched Hand. These accidents typically result in injuries to the upper extremities, i.e., the hands, wrists, forearms, elbows, and shoulders. Broken bones (fractures) are very common in fall cases.
Slip and falls usually involve a twisting action which can result in ligament and tendon tears in the knee, foot, and ankle. The impact from a slip and fall can often also result in broken bones. In extreme cases, falls can result in spinal cord injuries, traumatic brain injuries and even death. Contact our experienced Bronx accident lawyers if you have been injured in a slip and fall or trip and fall accident.
What Are We Suing For? How Much Are We Suing For?
After an accident, you should get what’s been taken away from you. We will push the insurance company to pay you for:
- Lost wages,
- Medical bills,
- Future medical care related to your accident,
- Pain and suffering,
- Home health care,
- Physical therapy,
- Emotional anguish,
- Loss of enjoyment of life.
At Haicken Law, we will begin preparing your Bronx accident case the first day you hire us. We work for you and will do everything we can to try to get your case to the Bronx County courthouse so a Bronx jury can evaluate your case. Our hope is that along the way, the insurance company will realize they should settle.
Can I Have A Case Even If The Accident May Have Been Partially My Fault?
Yes! You can still have a case if you are partially responsible. Building owners often say that you should have been looking where you were going. The issue of who is at fault could ultimately be decided by a Bronx jury. New York is a comparative negligence state, meaning that you can still get money for your injuries, even if the accident was partially your fault. Our position is that even if you were not paying attention, e.g., looking at your phone, you would not have fallen if it weren’t for the carelessness of the defendant building owner, cleaning company etc. If your case goes to trial, a jury of 6 Bronx residents would apportion fault, i.e., they would decide how much each party is to blame. In other words, a jury could say that the accident was 100% the fault of the building, 100% your fault, 50/50, or somewhere in between.
Do I Have To Talk To The Insurance Company?
No! Not without your attorney present. One of the most important parts of the case is YOUR testimony. Without an experienced Bronx accident lawyer, you may end up being tricked into saying something that hurts your case. That’s why you should never talk to an insurance company claims adjuster before hiring one of our Bronx injury lawyers. It is legal for a claims adjuster to record the interview, even if they don’t tell you ahead of time that the call is recorded. Just like in criminal cases you’ve seen on TV, anything you say can be used against you in court.
The only time you should ever speak to an insurance company representative is at your deposition. This is a pre-trial question and answer session where you will be asked questions under oath by a lawyer for the building owner’s insurance company. One of our skilled Bronx accident lawyers can prepare you for your deposition and will be there with you to make sure you are not taken advantage of by the other side’s lawyer.
How Much Time Do I Have To File A Lawsuit?
In most slip and fall or trip and fall cases in New York, you have 3 years from the date of accident to file suit. However, this is different for cases against government entities. Once you miss the deadline, you have no case and are forever barred from filing a claim. If you have been injured in a fall accident in the Bronx, please call one of our Bronx injury lawyers immediately. We want to start building your case as soon as possible.
The call is free and there’s never a fee unless we win. 212-LAW-TEAM. 212-529-8326