The Bronx is one of the most dangerous places in the City of New York to ride a bicycle.
Fortunately for Bronx residents who are bicycle enthusiasts or who use a bicycle as a means of getting to work, more changes might be coming to the Bronx. According to nycstreetsblog.org, the Department of Transportation for the City of New York recently publicized a plan to convert a major transportation area in the Bronx into a protected bike lane. The proposal would encompass a two-lane bike bath that would be protected from traffic. It would go from Burke Avenue to East 226th Street, along White Plains Road. The DOT made this announcement at a meeting of Bronx Community Board 12. It was part of a much broader plan to bring much needed safety measures to stop Bronx bicycle accidents.
These changes are needed because there is such a lack of protected bike lanes in the Bronx. According to streetsblog, only 3% of the City’s protected bike lanes are located in the Bronx.
Table of Contents
What to do if you have been injured in a Bronx bicycle accident?
- Get immediate medical attention.
- Document the accident and your injuries as much as possible: take pictures, get a police report, get the names of the driver who hit you and as many witnesses as you can.
- Speak to an experienced Bronx accident attorney.
The accident lawyers at Haicken Law have handled hundreds of bike accident cases in New York, many of them in the Bronx. We know Bronx County juries, and we thrive presenting our clients’ cases to them.
What can a Bronx accident attorney do for me?
We will immediately begin preparing your case for trial. While most cases settle, it is our belief that the best way to settle a case is to prepare each and every case as if it will go all the way to a jury verdict. We will:
- Gently guide you through the legal system so you can focus on your health
- Get the police report and figure out how much insurance coverage is available
- Get statements from witnesses
- Deal with the insurance company so you don’t have to
- Make sure your medical bills get paid
- Aggressively push your case in court
After a driver hits a bicyclist, they usually report the accident to their insurance company. Once an insurance company hears about a bike accident, they immediately get their army of lawyers involved to try to destroy your claim. Insurance companies have unlimited resources, so it’s important to hire a firm that will outspend, and outwork even the most vicious and devious insurance company employees.
Most of the Bronx accident lawyers at Haicken Law are former employees of insurance companies. We know their dirty tricks and we are ready for them. Our success defines us. The insurance companies know of our record of getting top results for our injured clients in Bronx bike accident cases.
What are causes of bike accidents handled by Haicken Law?
- Drunk driving
- Texting while driving
- Failure to yield to bicyclists
- We have represented several bicyclists who were “doored” (car door opened into the path of the bicyclist)
- Cars turning into the path of bicyclists
- Inattentiveness of bicyclists especially in bicycle on bicycle collisions
After having conducted hundreds of depositions of drivers in bike accident cases, we have heard the same testimony, time and time again. The drivers often simply don’t see the bicyclists. Many times this is because the drivers were texting. Sometimes it is just that drivers do not anticipate bicycles being in the road, even though bicyclists have the legal right to be there.
Accidents often happen at intersections when cars turn into the path of an oncoming bicycle. Drivers generally say that they didn’t see the bicycle until it was too late. Often that is when the bicyclist is on the windshield. The driver of the turning vehicle has a duty to yield to another car or a bicycle that is going straight. Far too often, drivers attempt to turn quickly without taking proper precautions.
Sideswipes and lane changes are also a common scenario for bike accidents. These accident cases are the hardest to prove as it is one party’s story against the other. Nevertheless, the LAW TEAM at Haicken Law has successfully recovered hundreds of thousands of dollars for clients injured in sideswipe and lane change accidents.
Injuries from bike accidents
Bicycle accidents can result in massive, life changing injuries. Our team of lawyers has obtained millions of dollars in settlements from some of the largest insurance companies and corporations in the world. We have represented clients who have sustained very serious injuries including:
- Fractures (broken bones)
- Bulging discs
- Herniated discs
- Spinal cord injuries
- Brain injuries
- Pulmonary embolism
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Dental injuries
- Ophthalmological injuries (eye trauma)
After a bike accident, it’s important to seek medical treatment as soon as possible. In addition to being the best possible thing for your health, it is also important to document your injuries for your lawsuit. If you are in pain and don’t tell a doctor about it, it is like it never happened.
Who will pay my medical bills after a bike accident?
The car insurance for the car that hit you is on the hook for up to $50,000 in medical bills through the No-Fault portion of their policy.
How much is my Bronx accident case worth?
This will depend on 3 main factors.
- Fault – Who was at fault? Were you partially at fault? The less fault you have for the accident, the more likely you are to obtain money for your injuries.
- Injuries – How badly were you injured? Did you have surgery? Do you have scars? Broken bones? Will you make the seriously injury threshold? The more injured you are, the more money you can get.
- Insurance coverage – How much insurance is available? Do you have the ability to make a claim for underinsured motorist coverage?
Do I need a Bronx accident lawyer?
Yes! Don’t go it alone. Some people think they can get a better result by themselves and don’t need a lawyer. Remember that the insurance companies have been through this before. They have a team of lawyers, claims adjusters, and investigators working on your case – against you! Shouldn’t you have a team working for you? The lawyers at Haicken Law all have extensive experience handling Bronx accident cases. Also, you never have to pay us. We get paid by the insurance company out of the settlement.
The attorneys at Haicken Law are aggressive with the insurance companies, yet passionate with our clients. We look forward to helping you get back on your feet again and getting you the compensation you deserve.